Messina Group seeks a Buyer for our client, a family-owned food manufacturing and packaging company, in Countryside, Illinois.
Our client has been manufacturing food for longer than 100 years and boasts a family-friendly work environment that is both fast-paced and detail-oriented. Work with a small 3-person team-based environment with encouraged open communication and strong employee relationships while earning a competitive base salary and great benefits.
The buyer is responsible for maintaining inventory levels, optimizing our client's buying position for raw materials and packaging components, sourcing new inventory, and evaluating and managing vendors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review all aspects to optimize buying position for raw material and packaging components.
- Maintain sufficient inventory levels of raw materials to meet company and customer OTIF requirements.
- Analyze daily inventory net requirements and item statistics reports to manage and attain the optimal raw material inventory levels necessary to meet production demands timely.
- Complete the daily specified purchasing tasks and reports.
- Source and procure high-quality raw materials and packaging from reputable vendors. Conduct thorough research and investigation into the qualities and aspects of all new and current vendors.
- Seek out and evaluate local supply agreements with vendors to reduce and improve lead times.
- Evaluate and research commodity markets critical to the items purchased for the company.
- Organize group bids and RFQs to secure the most competitive raw material prices.
- Source new suppliers and materials to expand our alternate supplier and raws portfolios.
- Provide detailed monthly forecasts to vendors to ensure on-time delivery, uninterrupted supply, and minimal obsolescence. Periodically have Sales confirm forecast.
- Work closely with Production and R&D teams to identify cost savings and CI opportunities.
- Improve and implement sourcing strategies to deliver solutions and bring cost savings to the organization.
- Obtain raw material technical documents and work with Tech Services toward full approval.
- Serve as a potential backup to the Logistics Department for inbound freight follow-up.
- Work independently to accomplish all the duties delegated by the Purchasing Manager.
- Know the accepted business purchasing methods and the policies and procedures of our client. It is the responsibility of the Buyer to conduct all business in accordance first with the policies and procedures of our client, but if a subject is not covered by those policies and procedures then to act in accordance with the best business purchasing standards and in the best interest of the organization.
- Help other department personnel determine the most suitable materials or services to meet their needs considering the objectives of the entire organization.
- Find the best source to meet the department’s objectives, to negotiate price, and terms in the best interest of the company.