The Messina Group seeks an EHS Specialist
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to EHS Manager in maintaining EHS programs designed to mitigate workplace injuries and illnesses and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Coordinate with the EHS Manager to introduce best in class practices and establish an effective EH&S culture.
- Function as a subject matter expert for Safety, Health, and environmental issues.
- Ensure corrective and preventative measures (action plans) are completed and effective for incidents including injuries, illnesses, and close calls.
- Ensure systems are in place to encourage the reporting of all accidents, injuries (regardless of severity), and especially close call events (near misses) and that they are being investigated in a timely fashion.
- Deliver workplace training and coaching, including administering the Respiratory Protection Program and other programs as required or necessary.
- Support the Employee Safety Committee(s) and partner with area safety representatives.
- Coordinate and lead the site Emergency response teams and participants (e.g. First Aid, Fire Extinguisher and HAZWOPER.)
- Assist with environmental program/permitting inspections, monitoring, and reporting (e.g. MWRDGC Discharge Authorization, ISO 14001, IEPA Annual Emission Report, Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability, Cook County Liquid Hazardous Waste Reporting, SPCC Plan, etc.) and supporting site hazardous waste management efforts.
- Assist with the Laboratory Safety program, Hazard Communication, and SDS management efforts.
- Assist with reporting of site EHS metrics to Global and Regional EHS, and to the local operations.