Messina Group seeks a Formulation Cosmetic Chemist for our client, a fast-growing start cosmetic contract manufacturing company, in South Holland, Illinois.
To perform a broad range of product development functions including the formulation of innovative and competitive hair and skincare products, stability and validation protocols, claims substantiation, and scale-up process. This requires responsibilities in ingredient validation, managing vendor relationships, and actively seeking out new ideas from the industry and beyond while implementing creative, independent thought projects. Connecting decisions at the formulation level to changes in the industry, regulations, company initiatives, etc. is key. Also, responsibilities in regulatory management and document control are expected.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Product formulation
- Developing new formulations and product applications that are in compliance with domestic and international regulations
- Research and identify new and innovative technologies
- Monitor stability and validate formulations through efficacy testing, toxicological/microbiological testing, and other necessary tests
- Implement and monitor cost parameters in formulations
- Prepare relevant documentation to formulations including MSDSs, manufacturing processes, etc.
- Assist in piloting and scale-up efforts of new formulations
- Assist in adjusting batches in production
- Maintain awareness of competitive products, applications, technical developments in related fields of science and market trends as they relate to hair care, skincare, and other similar categories
- Provide technical assistance to subsequent departments
- Assist in regulatory compliance matters
- Maintain and enforce laboratory SOPs, manage laboratory compliance and systems
- Communicates development challenges to management on a timely basis, while offering alternative solutions.
- Mentor, teach and share expertise with junior staff to help develop talent
- Work with quality teams to validate new chemicals and ingredients
- Conduct regular meetings with chemical and fragrance vendors to acknowledge new and innovative raw materials.
- Follow through on all the other additional duties assigned.