Position Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, the Laboratory Lead is responsible for ensuring staffing levels are appropriate and aligned with projected sample loads for analyses within their area of responsibility. Work with analysts and technical resources to ensure that they are trained to perform assigned tasks safely and efficiently. Document safe and efficient workflows in standard operating procedures (SOPs) that minimize analytical variation and support all quality objectives and criteria. Work with production groups (internal customers) and account managers as needed to prioritize workload and communicate priorities and quality concerns to laboratory analysts. Support effective transition of new products and procedures into the laboratory by facilitating method documentation and training.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify work instructions are adequately documented to ensure safety and quality requirements are met.
- Perform job observations weekly to verify conformance to documented procedures.
- Evaluate staffing levels to ensure they are adequate to support safety and quality goals including verifying adequate coverage during staff absences and adjusting support/coverage plans as needed during product ramps, escalations, or quality excursions.
- Proactively manage staffing levels and cross-training plans including personally running samples as needed to meet target analysis times for samples.
- Ensure staff members are certified on tasks being performed Evaluate staff performance at agreed-upon intervals incorporating safety, quality, and efficiency metrics in reviews.
- Mentor staff to identify development needs that align with departmental strategic plans.
- Review staff career goals and identify training and development activities that enable professional growth opportunities aligned with department strategic plans where possible.
- Ensure the work area is organized to support lean manufacturing goals, and free of unnecessary materials to support 5S goals, and clean to support safety and quality goals.
- Communicate verbally and in writing with stakeholders in company management, production, and customer account managers to prioritize samples as needed and communicate priorities and needs to analytical staff clearly and effectively.
- Using project management best practices and working closely with laboratory technical specialists and company project managers from any department, ensure projects (including metrology transfers, gauge R&R studies, MDL studies, equipment installations, equipment qualifications, etc.) are supported with laboratory staff with appropriate skills and time allocation required to meet agreed-upon schedules, budgets, and scope.
- Communicate project scope, schedule, and budget for lab activities to the project manager and affected staff to ensure alignment and proactively notify stakeholders of any risks or changes to laboratory deliverables.
- Working with staff, drive review of control charts using statistical process control (SPC) methodologies, and work closely with quality control specialists, laboratory technical specialists, and subject matter experts to support identification of root cause for excursions and development of appropriate corrective actions.
- Work with laboratory technical specialists and subject matter experts to troubleshoot, document response flow checklists/out of control action plans (RFCs)/(OOCAPs) and instrument performance issues using statistical process control methodologies including control chart reviews for check samples, long term stability monitors, system suitability checks.
- Other duties as assigned.