Our client is a specialist in high voltage switching, protection, and control, providing products for the electric power industry since 1911. Product Engineering—Overhead Lateral Automation (OLA) Development in Chicago, Illinois is responsible for developing new products and adding features to existing lateral automation products, TripSaver II and VacuFuse. These products are integral to our utility customers’ Smart Grid systems. The job of Manager—Product Engineering is the leadership of the OLA development team in Chicago in product development and design activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leading the OLA development team in the development of creative and cost-effective switching solutions to solve customers’ distribution grid reliability problems.
- Overseeing the development of automatic and manual vacuum interrupter switching and fault interrupting products.
- Managing work pertinent to product design including requirement analysis, specifications, design, implementation, testing, and related documentation.
- Creating project schedules, task, and project completion time estimates, and managing the OLA development team to deliver projects as planned.
- Interfacing with the OLA Product Management team to define new products and features that will significantly grow business.
- Providing technical leadership and guidance for the Production Operations and Project Management teams to implement new designs and to support production activities.
- Providing engineering oversight for small-scale product design and process improvements.
- Working with suppliers, production representatives, and customers to resolve product-related issues in a timely manner.
- Reviewing and approving RMA reports and issuing corrective actions, undertaking root cause analysis, and supervising design changes when appropriate.
- Recruiting, training, and mentoring engineering team members to meet personal, professional, and corporate performance objectives.