Messina is searching for a Mechanical Design Engineer for our client in Lake Villa, IL.
Mechanical Design Engineer position working for a rapidly growing custom automation company building machines for the Life Sciences industry. Responsibility includes: designing automation (assemblies and sub-assemblies), fixtures, and prototypes, performing equipment debugging, supporting applications, interfacing with customers to understand requirements, designing to safety standards, and applying mechanical engineering principles to the implementation of automation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design automation (assemblies and subassemblies), retrofits, fixtures, and prototypes.
- Interface with customers to understand system requirements and resolve design issues encountered.
- Document customer requirements to capture design intent and develop designs that incorporate said intent.
- Document and maintain revisions to existing automated systems.
- Work with team members to create integrated design between multiple stations and designers on large machines.
- Incorporate proven, readily available technology into design based on customer or project requirements.
- Identify correct motors, actuators, slides, heaters, and grippers for specific design application.
- Update Test Plan to capture design requirements that commissioning will use to test the machine according to User Requirement Specifications.
- Design automation to OSHA and NFPA standards.
- Mitigate operator risk of machine operation, usage, maintenance, or in machine failure during design. Use safety sensors in critical areas to ensure operator and machine safety.
- Anticipate possible failure modes of machine operation that cause harm to the operator, machine, product, or environment and alter the design to eliminate or minimize it.
- Create drawings with detailing of parts and assemblies including dimensions, callouts, tolerances, and material specifications.
- Creates comprehensive build plans for the mechanical assemblers to accurately assemble/build to print.
- Develop and release bill of materials including stock material and commercials to purchasing.
- Communicate to Fabrication critical features, dimensions, materials, and tolerances.
- Evaluate and troubleshoot automation when problems arise during commissioning and propose recommendations for resolving equipment issues.
- Act as a technical mechanical design resource/support for company sales staff.
- Support applications by providing automation concepts and concept drawings in preparation of estimates and quotes.
- Stay current in new developments within industries served. Keeps informed of new applications and methods to improve systems or products.
- Observe all safety rules, applicable regulations, and relevant ISO standards.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The use of safety equipment to include but not limited to safety glasses, hearing protection, gloves, and protective clothing.