Messina Group seeks an Occupational Health Nurse for our client, a food manufacturing company located in Rembrandt, Iowa.
Our client offers a family-oriented environment where a work-life balance is promoted and competitive compensation and benefits are provided.
About the Location:
This friendly small town area boasts of a community center and a wonderful K-12 Sioux Central School. Recreation is terrific in near-by towns and parks. The nearby Little Sioux River connects to Linn Grove and makes for great canoeing and water-activities.
About the job:
The Occupational Health Nurse helps maintain the health and safety of Rembrandt Foods workforce by providing onsite evaluations, assessments and advanced first aid to employees in the event of a workplace injury or illness.
This position takes a proactive and preventive approach to health and safety by developing preventative programs to educate coworkers on health and safety risks making recommendations as to job modifications and task specific training and informs them of relevant services with the goal of providing a safe, healthy, and accident-free environment. The Occupational Health Nurse works closely with Operations, Safety, Human Resources, and Finance departments in support of Rembrandt Foods’ overall Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) goals and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivers services to maintain safe and healthy workforce; participates as a first responder to onsite accidents/injuries and oversees the onsite Medical Emergency Response Team (MERT).
- As a first responder, perform triage to determine prompt and most appropriate medical care, including advanced first aid, and direct care to off-site designated medical provider when necessary and appropriate.
- Provides onsite clinical nursing care for occupational and minor non-occupational injury and illness
- Practices case management through coordination of health care services from onset of work-related injury evaluation through workers’ compensation injury/risk /claim management, disability and absence management, return -to-work evaluation and return to work or an optimal alternative
- Directs care to the appropriate medical providers and serves as the liaison between Rembrandt Foods and outside medical providers
- Evaluates medical restrictions accompanying return-to-work related and no-work-related injuries and illnesses. Acts as a partner to Human Resources function to ensure the appropriateness of any restricted work and intervenes with treating medical providers when more information is needed to assess the ability of an employee to safely return to work.
- Oversees the administration of occupational injury program, including working with external health care providers, insurance carrier or third-party administrator to reduce severity of incidents and contain costs.
- Conduct/facilitate fitness-for -duty physical examinations, audiometric testing, pulmonary function testing and respirator fit testing, all to determine cognitive and physical ability and proper and safe job placement. Performs post offer/preplacement medical evaluations.
- Plans and implements programs to train managers and coworkers in bloodborne pathogens, body mechanics, ergonomics, medical emergency response team and other occupational health topics as necessary
- Collects and ensures completion of reports required by corporate and regulatory agencies for the Rembrandt Site and Farm Nutrients Operations.
- Ensures OSHA mandate programs and recordkeeping stands are comped to comply with regulations, including logging and filing first reports of injury, maintaining OSHA logs
- Prepares reports, maintains employee heal files and ensures regulatory compliance with State Nurse Practice Act as required
- Facilitate medical regulator surveillance programs including hearing conservation, Respiratory Protection as well as Bloodborne Pathogens.
- Performs as a key business partner in areas such as quality improvement procedures/protocols, cost containment programs, community involvement, policies/procedures to ensure compliance and return on investment analysis
- Collaborates in disaster response with Emergency Response Plan, Business Continuity Plan, and disaster planning and risk communication.
- Collaborates with HR to develop programs and services by providing content expertise