As an associate of Scientific & Regulatory Affairs (SRA), the Global Innovation Program Manager Scientific and Regulatory Affairs North America creates and sustains a competitive advantage and supports the achievement of overall business goals by leading regulatory risk assessment and mitigation of global innovation projects in North America.
Leads a variety of regulatory activities related to raw materials, finished products, labeling, and claims for global agile innovation launching in North America. This position proactively partners with innovation stakeholders and Regional SRA experts to identify potential regulatory risks and works to bring solutions to the table to enable innovation while ensuring compliance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Regulatory risk assessment and mitigation for innovation projects in North America.
- Serves as the SRA lead and primary point of contact for global agile innovation (known as DS2) business stakeholders (e.g., R&D, Marketing) for issues and projects in North America
- Provides scientific and regulatory advice for claims, ingredients, recipes, and labeling for DS2 innovation through cross-functional collaboration with Legal, Science & Technology, and Quality. Brings solutions in addition to risk assessments
- Provides scientific and regulatory advice on route to market for new innovations, working with external experts where needed for new categories or channels
- Ensures leadership for compliance activities for test-and-learn launches to ensure that ingredients, claims, products, and labeling are compliant with relevant market regulations. Partners with regional SRA teams to support the scale-up
- Escalates key decision points to SRA LT to ensure proper governance
- Communicates project highlights and key regulatory issues with SRA community for broader team visibility, understanding, and learning
- Establishes and works with relevant external technical consultants to ensure SRA project success criteria is achieved with the highest level of quality and efficiency
- SRA DS2 innovation infrastructure
- Executes workstreams in aligning ways of working with stakeholders, building internal capabilities and external capabilities, grounding stakeholders with basic regulatory knowledge, and establishing tools to enable speed and agility when partnering with the business for innovation
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve SRA innovation infrastructure in areas above
- seeks stakeholder and SRA LT feedback to drive continuous improvement of SRA ways of working and innovation infrastructure
- Upskills and develops in new technical areas in regulatory depending on business needs
- Proactive partnership with innovation teams to bring the outside in
- Accountable for providing regulatory and strategic guidance to relevant DS2 partners on existing and new regulations and emerging regulatory issues of interest to the Company and managing technical regulatory issues.
- Maintains up to date knowledge on key developments in food law and policy via literature reviews, newsletters, conference attendance, and participation in professional association activities so that the potential impact can be mined and addressed, or opportunities can be generated and materialized and communicates relevant information to stakeholders
- Based on the business opportunity and value proposition of the innovation projects, leverages external network to bring external provocations and updates in the regulatory areas and beyond
- Schedule: 8-5
- Location: Remote/Chicago