Our client is seeking a Sustainability Manager to help lead and execute on the company’s strategic objectives related to environmental opportunities across the organization. This role will support our pillars of Respect for People, Responsible Stewardship, Personal Integrity and Operational Excellence. The role requires a strong understanding of current sustainability challenges and initiatives in the manufacturing industry, as well as a keen ability to work in a corporate environment with multiple cross-functional stakeholders. The candidate will have a demonstrated ability to execute programs that achieve sustainability goals. Reporting to our Sr Manager of HSE, this leader will have a critical role working closely with leaders of key functional areas –Supply Chain, Product Engineering, Production Operations & Maintenance, Marketing & Communications, Legal, etc. – as well as with our business unit partners. The candidate must have strong business and sustainability acumen, problem solving skills, a passion for leading transformative changes in the ways of working and an ability to work cross-functionally in driving solutions.
The responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop strategies to drive the execution and progress initiatives that help achieve our 5-year strategic Sustainability goals & objectives.
- Understand the broader Sustainability industry landscape to identify critical needs and actively contribute to shaping the strategy through industry research, monitoring of best practices and ongoing competitive benchmarking for adoption opportunities.
- Provide organizational oversight to manage overall execution of Sustainability program initiatives, working closely with cross-functional and our business units to ensure alignment.
- Develop measurement systems and maintain tools to benchmark and track progress against key Sustainability goals, ratings, and frameworks.
- Oversee trends research, data gathering and KPI reporting., and organizational oversight
- Maintain and grow operational Sustainability programs focused on waste minimization to achieve and maintain landfill free status.
- Maintain and grow operational Sustainability programs focused on decarbonization and carbon neutrality, ensuring retirement of high-quality, audited offsets that exactly offset actual domestic carbon emissions. Evolve program and strategize the future look of offsets.
- Prepare agendas, reading materials, and focus areas for senior leadership team.
- Partner and engage with third party associations, industry partnerships and/or multi-stakeholder initiatives, including liaison work with customers on Sustainability, as assigned.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Communications to support the creation and implementation of communication and market strategies to highlight Sustainability initiatives, results achieved, and to promote broad awareness internally and externally.
- Monitor markets and regulatory activity to provide advice regarding trends, compliance and market timing.
- Build a “best practices hub” on Sustainability where the organization can find all relevant information on key initiatives and progress around Sustainability, developing a collaborative community on Sustainability topics.
- Raise the level of awareness and expertise on sustainability across the organization with resources and tools that educate and influence.