Messina Group seeks a hands-on Vivarium Technician who will assist with all core vivarium activities from daily operations to animal husbandry for our client in Seattle, Washington.
The Vivarium Technician is responsible for ensuring that the care of animals is in compliance with approved animal care and use protocols. You will also be responsible for executing operational activities, including daily care, as well as assisting the labs with research activities such as ear marking, dissections, and behavioral observations. The successful candidate will be well-organized, and a team player with a high level of work integrity and ethical standards. This position may require some weekends and occasional holiday hours.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in ensuring the vivarium complies with federal regulations for the care and maintenance of research animals.
- Procure vivarium-related items, including purchase and receipt of rodents, cages, feed, and other items necessary for day-to-day operations.
- Prepare and maintain required activity records and regulatory forms.
- Perform specialized laboratory tests and procedures.
- Perform injections and surgery and general care of animals.
- Perform earmark, dissections, and behavioral checks.
- Monitor environmental conditions in animal housing facilities.
- Monitor and assist with the animal colony, including health status and signs of illness.
- Follow protocols related to the proper containment and disposal of biohazard waste and contaminants.